Love for Food

Penne with Roasted Caluiflower and Onions

Happy President's Day! Hope everyone is enjoying a nice long weekend and a little bit warmer temps in NYC. Last week I caved in and ordered Fresh Direct. It's convenient and easy but paying extra for delivery and tip makes ordering a splurge. Plus the prices are OK but not all that great. Since I'm a sucker for deal I got two heads of cauliflower, since they were 2 for $3.00 or $1.99 each.
After I got the order it hit me that was a lot of cauliflower. I stumbled across this dish in the new WW cookbook. I used regular pasta because I had gotten some on sale for $.50 a box. I don't mind the whole grain but again... can't resist a good deal!
This pasta was pretty good. Not fantastic. It needed a little extra oomph! I ate the pasta with the leftover Chinese Meatballs and some Sriracha and that pepped it right up. I wanted to share this because although I was not head over heals for it, it was decent. I liked that I had a serving of veggie included. The serving size is also very large, especially for a pasta dish. The cauliflower really adds bulk. Good for a healthy weeknight dinner. Made for nice leftovers during the week also.
Ingredients: Serves Four
8 oz whole wheat penne
2 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 head cauliflower cut into small florets
2 onions thinly sliced
1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/3 cup chopped parsley
Method:

  • Cook pasta according to package directions.
  • Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat, add cauliflower and cook, stirring until lightly browned about 8 minutes.
  • Spay skillet with olive oil spray add onions and garlic cook five minutes.
  • Return cauliflower to skillet, add tomatoes, salt, and red pepper flakes. Cook about ten minutes. Add pasta and parsley. Cook two more minutes.
Cost: $3.60 total, .90 per serving
Time: 15 active, 25 minutes inactive
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 242
Total Fat 5g
Fiber 13g
Protein 13g

Weight Watcher Points +: 8 points per serving (2 1/4 cups)