Love for Food

Fusilli with Pecorino Romano and Black Pepper (AKA Cheesy Pasta)
Pasta With Spinach

My favorite Saturday morning ritual is coffee and breakfast in bed. Instead of reading the paper, I watch Food Network and cuddle with the kitties. Last weekend was fast and easy weeknight dinners. All of the episodes were around this theme. Perfect for me. When I saw this dish I wanted to try it. It seemed easy, yet impressive enough for guests. (The show was Giada at Home.) The price is nice also at about $7.00 for six servings.
The biggest reason why I made this dish was because I already had all of the ingredients. On Friday, I zealously bought two 1lb tubs of arugula and spinach for salads. While I eat HHUUUGEE salads every day, the amount was a bit much for one person. This was a great way to use up some of the spinach.
This dish is rich, creamy and cheesy. It's not totally diet friendly :(. I portioned out the dish into six and ate it with a salad. Calorie count is not too bad but it is very high in fat. If you watch your fat intake for the rest of the day though, you should be OK :)Ingredients: Serves Six kosher salt 1 lb. fusilli pasta 1/4 cup olive oil 2 cloves garlic, slightly crushed 5 cups baby spinach leaves pepper/salt 1 1/2 cup of grated pecorino romano cheese (6 oz) 1 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature Method:

  • Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve 3/4 cup of cooking liquid and drain the pasta.
  • Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until lightly browned, about two minutes. Remove the garlic and discard.
  • Add the spinach and some pepper (to taste) and cook until the spinach has wilted.
  • Remove from heat and add the pasta. Add the pecorino romano cheese and toss.
  • In a medium bowl whisk together reserved cooking water and mascarpone cheese until smooth. Mix with pasta.
  • Add salt and pepper as needed.