Love for Food

New Alice's Tea Cup cookbook

This is the year of the soups for me. Every week I make a different soup and freeze half and eat the other half. It's the only thing I can think of eating when I come home from Riker's. They are fast and healthy and not too bad in calories. I need something warm and soothing in the tummy. I got this recipe from my new Alice's Tea Cup cookbook. When I saw it I knew I had to make it. I love spicy, Thai food, and chickpeas. It's pretty tasty and offers a little something different than my normal soup repertoire. The spice helps clear up any nasal congestion. Give it a try and let me know what you think! Ingredients: Serves Eight 2 tbs unsalted butter 1/4 cup minced jalapeno pepper 1/2 cup chopped celery 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion 8 cups stock/chicken broth 1 13.5 oz can light coconut milk 1 12.5 oz can crushed tomatoes 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice 2 13.5 oz can chickpeas drained salt/pepper Method:

  • Heat butter in a medium pan over low heat. Add jalapenos, celery, and onions and saute for about five minutes.
  • Combine veggies, with stock, coconut milk, tomatoes, and lime juice in a large pot and cook for 45 minutes.
  • Add the chickpeas and cook for five more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Cost: $8.35 total, $1.04 per serving Time: 15 minutes active, 45 minutes inactive Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving Calories 214.6Total Fat 12.0 gSaturated Fat 9.4 g Polyunsaturated Fat 1.3 g Monounsaturated Fat 2.6 g Cholesterol 12.8 mg Sodium 1,237.5 mg Potassium 678.7 mg Total Carbohydrate 22.9 g Dietary Fiber 4.1 g Sugars 1.0 g Protein 6.3 g
Weight Watcher Points +: 6 points per serving