Love for Food

Style for Look

I have discovered a delicious and healthy twist on Chai tea. I brew a caffeine free Chai (Chai Rooibos tea made by Yogi) and add three tablespoons of light coconut milk (Trader Joe's brand) instead of cow's milk. Coconut milk has many health benefits (I've listed them below).

Since I usually enjoy drinking Chai at night, a caffeine free version is a great alternative to the traditional version made with black tea which would keep me up all night. This particular chai rooibos contains stevia (a naturally sweet herb) so I don't need to add any honey or sugar.

The health benefits of coconut milk:

  • dairy, soy and gluten free
  • rich in Lauric acid - the most essential fatty acid needed to maintain and build the body's immune system
  • contains valuable nutrients like calcium and potassium
  • saturated fat in coconut milk is composed of short-chain and medium-chain fatty acids that are quickly and easily assimilated into the body - unlike long-chain fatty acids in cow’s milk that the body stores as fat