Love for Food

Late Sunday Lunch

My favorite day to have people over is Saturday. Saturday lunch, to be more specific. That way I have all morning to prepare it! We have been trying to have Brian & Jill (and, of course, their adorable children) over for almost a year now, but either Brian or Mike were always out of town or we wanted to have people over that were about to move away or other reasons…Well, I invited them for Saturday (yesterday), but later they needed to switch to Sunday. “Okay, I said, but our church gets out way later than yours so we’ll need to eat around 2 at the earliest.” Cool, no problem. Anywho…I prepared most of the food last night so it’d be ready to throw in the oven. I soaked beans all day, boiled them all evening (literally), cut and chopped a dozen different things, etc. Here’s everything I served: · Black bean dip with chips · Mom’s Chicken Enchiladas, extremely modified by me · Yogurt fruit salad (with green grapes that I haven’t seen here EVER until this week!! So yummy!!) · Green salad with a couple dressing options * * This was seriously the second time I ever bought lettuce here. You have to wash vegetables so well here and I’m just paranoid about lettuce. So, to continue my story above…let me just explain that Jill is a phenomenal cook. She’s a stay-at-home mom and has really perfected cooking. Every time I have anything she made, it’s fantastic. Needless to say, that made me a little nervous. I’m new at this! She’s also one of the nicest people I’ve ever met and I knew I shouldn’t worry, but I did anyway. Of course, in all my worries I forgot that I was supposed to call them when we got out of church so they’d know when to come over. All this time, I thought we just decided on 2:00. Was definitely MY fault…but the delay helped me calm down and get things done as I was running behind.Alas, everything ended up perfectly, they complimented it many times, and everyone was stuffed. We didn’t even eat leftover birthday cake/ice cream, because no one had room! To top it all off, I was internally beaming at Jill’s comment when she first arrived…She’s been excited to finally taste the cooking she’s heard so much about from different people. Wow! That made my day.