Love for Food

Cheesy Tuna Salad

I am a self proclaimed tuna-holic. I was such a rebel that I would sneak off campus during lunch in high school. I could be found getting my tuna fix at Subway, down the hill from campus. If I ever have tuna salad ready made, I'll eat it for breakfast. I can't look at it in the fridge and wait till lunch. Through all my hankerings which usually come and go tuna has stayed.
As Emeril might say, I wanted to "kick it up a notch" and did some Googling for some new ways to make the classic tuna salad. I found a recipe here, on AllRecipes.com, and gave it a go. The woman who posted the recipe said that her friend Barbie had a catering company and would serve this tuna on crackers as an appetizer. It was quite unique with curry powder, cheese, and pickle relish, which made me really want to try it. I'm not very sensitive to the tastes of spices and didn't even notice the curry flavor. There was just something a little different about this tuna. I changed it around to adapt to my taste and it can easily change to adapt to yours. This cheesy tuna recipe is something to try when you want something new but don't want to give up an old favorite. Ingredients: Serves Four

1 (7 ounce) can white tuna, drained and flaked 3 tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish 1 tablespoon chopped onion 1/4 teaspoon curry powder 1 tablespoon dried parsley 1 teaspoon dried dill weed 1 pinch garlic powder Method:

  • In a medium bowl, stir together the tuna, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, and onion. Season with curry powder, parsley, dill and garlic powder. Mix well and serve with crackers or on a sandwich.

Cost: about $2.00 total, or .50 per serving
Time: 10 minutes active

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 110.4Total Fat 4.8 gSaturated Fat 1.1 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.2 gMonounsaturated Fat 0.3 gCholesterol 18.1 mgSodium 362.7 mgPotassium 108.9 mgTotal Carbohydrate 5.0 gDietary Fiber 0.1 gSugars 0.9 gProtein 11.6 gWeight Watcher Points: 3 points per serving