Love for Food

Indian Spice Pork Chops with Sauted Apples

I got excited when I saw the first apples arrive at the farmer's market. I miss all the wonderful fall foods - apples, pumpkins, brussel sprouts and squash. I got a bit carried away and got a huge bag of apples. I brought an apple a day to work but still had a ton to use up. I wanted to try something different and thought about making a chutney. But as everyone knows the best intentions can never come to fruition. Classes began, work got crazy and those apples were still sitting in my fridge. Last weekend I was too tired to think about chutney. The simplest thing I could think to do was to saute some apples.The next question than becomes so what do you do with those sauteed apples? Pork and apples are such a classic combo I ran to get some pork chops. I found some garam masala I bought when I was in an enthusiastic cooking mood while shopping at Kalyustyan's, but never used. Garam masala is an Indian blend of spices known for it's pungent taste. Typical spices which are included in garam masala's are nutmeg, cinnamon, coriander, clove, and cumin.
I was pleased with my throw together of ideas. The garam masala (and cayenne) was very flavorful and gave a strong kick to the pork. The sweet mushy apples helped to balance out those flavors. It was quick and tasty. Perfect for a cool fall night. Ingredients: Serves Four 1lb pork chops (I use boneless) 3 large apples (any type, I used William's Pride) 6 tablespoons olive oil 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (use less if you want less kick) 1 teaspoon cinnamon 2 tablespoons garam masala 1 tablespoon brown sugar 1/4 cup water salt to taste Method:

  • Poke holes in the meat using a knife and rub with garam masala, salt, 3 tablespoons oil, and cayenne pepper. Let marinate for about 30 minutes.
  • Peal and slice apple.
  • Grill pork for about five minutes each side (depending on thickness) at the same time
  • Put 3 tablespoons oil, water, apples, cinnamon, and sugar in a hot pan and cook until tender (about 7 minutes)
Cost: $4.50 total, $1.13 per serving Time: 15 minutes active, 30 minutes inactive Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving Calories 462.9Total Fat 30.8 g Saturated Fat 6.6 g Polyunsaturated Fat 2.6 gMonounsaturated Fat 19.5 g Cholesterol 89.5 mg Sodium 75.1 mg Potassium 520.9 mg Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g Dietary Fiber 2.5 g Sugars 1.1 g Protein 31.4 g Weight Watcher Points: 11 points per serving* The program I used to calculate the info had a choice for "pork chop" and the fat content of the dish came out to be high. However, a lean piece of pork is only 3 points. I think pork was added in as a higher point value, than it actually is.