Love for Food

Got the time? Yeah, 10 to I’m sick of you.

62276407317238654_FBmsLLZr_c picture via pinterest Last night I have been thinking about integration. In the sense of someone moving to another country and then starting to integrate him or herself by learning about culture and habits, history and of course studying the language. In my case, I would definitely say that I have done all of the above and I mostly feel at home here. But what about certain cultural habits that I just can’t seem to be able to accept? Does integration mean surrendering to everything? Am I being really annoying when I keep complaining about the same things that just don’t seem to work for me? If you’re Brazilian you might just want to answer ‘relaxa’, but to hell with relaxa. Sometimes I need to be German and that includes being on time, expecting a call when a friend says he’ll call, taking it serious and making room in my agenda when someone says tomorrow we’ll do this or that. Imagine my disappointment when again and again people fail to respect these arrangements (and I don’t mean canceling a day at the beach because it’s raining. Even I am not that stubborn). Now you can say, well haven’t you learned anything in 2 years living and coexisting with Brazilians? Just do it the same way they do. NO. That is exactly is my point. I don’t want to be someone you can’t rely on, someone who always has one or two other commitments up their sleeve, so that if one cancels they just meet up with another friend. I don’t want to be that person famous for always being late, or someone who offers you a favor and then keeps prolonging the due date leaving you in the terrible position of feeling like an impatient bitch whenever you check in on them. My problem is not waiting for something, my problem is that after all this time I still naively believe that tomorrow means tomorrow, next week means next week and so on. Or that in case of a reign check, the other person would at least have the decency and respect to just give me a quick call and not wait till I come calling after them. I mean nowadays with everyone having a phone and being constantly connected, is that really too much to ask for?! But I guess that in the end, it’s not the others that will change their habits, but I will have to come up with a way to get less frustrated while still valuing my education and good manners. Because if you ask me, whoever treats others in ways I described above is not cool and easy breezy living the chill live but disrespectful and unprofessional. And unfortunately my experience has shown that there are more individuals like that living here on Brazilian soil, than any other place I have been to until now. My only hope is that at least one person who reads this will reflect on this and don’t give the look-at-the-uptight-german look. /// Ontem a noite fiquei pensando sobre integração. No sentido de alguém se mudar para outro país e começar a se integrar, ficar estudando sobre a cultura, hábitos, história e claro, aprender a língua. No meu caso diria que fiz tudo listado acima e me sinto bastante em casa aqui. Tudo bem, mas o que faço com os hábitos culturais que aparentemente não estou conseguindo aceitar? Será que integração significa me render a tudo? Será que estou sendo ultra chata quando fico reclamando das mesmas coisas que simplesmente não funcionam para mim? Se você for Brasileiro talvez esteja querendo responder ‘relaxa’; mas vai pro inferno relaxa. As vezes preciso ser alemã e isso inclui chegar no horário, aguardar uma ligação se um amigo me disse que vai ligar, levar a sério e liberar tempo na minha agenda quando alguém combina de fazer algo no dia x. Imagine minha decepção quando repetitivamente as pessoas deixam de respeitar esses compromissos (E não estou falando de cancelar uma praia devido a chuva. Nem eu sou tão teimosa). Agora você pode perguntar, tá, tu não aprendeu nada nos 2 anos morando e convivendo com Brasileiros? Simplesmente faça igual a eles. NÃO. Esse é exatamente meu ponto. Eu não quero ser alguém com quem não se pode contar, alguém que sempre tem um ou dois outros compromissos na manga, para caso um cancele ele simplesmente vai encontrar outro amigo. Eu não quero ser aquela pessoa com fama de estar sempre atrasada, ou alguém que te promete uma coisa e depois fica prorrogando o prazo te deixando se sentir uma vaca impaciente sempre que for cobrar. Meu problema não é esperar por algo, meu problema é que mesmo após esse tempo todo eu ainda ingenuamente acredito que amanha significa amanha, semana que vem é semana que vem e por aí vai. Ou que caso precisar remarcar, a pessoa tivesse pelo menos a decência e o respeito de ligar ao invés de esperar até a hora que fico ligando atrás. Fala sério, hoje em dia com todo mundo sempre conectado e com celular na mão, estou pedindo demais?! Mas eu acho que no fim, não são os outros que vão mudar seus hábitos, e sim eu vou ter que arrumar um jeito de ficar menos frustrada sem deixar de valorizar minha educação e meus modos. Porque na minha opinião, quem trata outros de maneiras listadas acima não é relaxado vivendo de boa na lagoa e sim desrespeitoso e nada profissional. E infelizmente minha experiência mostrou que existem mais indivíduos desses em terras Brasileiras do que qualquer outro lugar que conheci até hoje. Minha única esperança é que pelo menos uma pessoa que leia isso aqui reflita um pouco e não me olha com cara de que-alemã-mais-tensa.xx, Coralyn