Love for Food

Shirlington

On Friday night, I was in Shirlington, part of Arlington, VA celebrating a friend's birthday. It was my first time at any of the restaurants on Campbell Avenue where practically every address on the street is a restaurant. We eventually ate dinner at T.H.A.I., but while we were waiting 40 minutes for our table (it must be a popular place) we walked five minutes down the street to check out Busboys and Poets. I've heard good things about this place, the flagship location is in the U Street Corridor in DC and they have a third at 5th and K. As their signage reads, it's a place for "Food, Books, Film, Coffee, Stage, Internet, and Bar". I know... almost too much to handle. Sit down if you need to... take a deep breath. Alas, this first visit was much too brief. Only enough time to enjoy a large cup of Chai (which was really lovely... not too sweet, just the right amount of froth). Just like the Thai restaurant, Busboy's was packed - there was only standing room at the bar. I didn't get to check out the selections in the book shop area either. This was just a taste... I'll go back soon and get the full experience.

Back to T.H.A.I. for a late dinner with a party of 13. The photo here is of the "Lemon Grass Seafood Soup". It was very tasty... just spicy enough, lots of Lemongrass and generous amounts of scallop, squid, shrimp, mussels and mushrooms. I have mixed reviews on the two entrees I tried. I found the "Ginger Root N' Broccoli" (stir fried flank steak with ginger and broccoli in a black soy sauce) nothing to write home about. The beef was too chewy. Conversely, the "Sizzling Seafood Prik King" was delicious ... basically a variation on the seafood soup with more chili kick. I'd go to T.H.A.I. again... the atmosphere was nice and the prices were reasonable.