Love for Food

Breakfast

I adore breakfast and I'm not ashamed to say it. First of all, mornings are my favorite time of day and I always wake up hungry. Second, breakfast is fun to cook and it's versatile... it can be savory or sweet, simple or extraordinary. Nothing's better than a lazy Saturday morning breakfast in your pajamas and slippers with a hot cup of coffee and the newspaper.

But there are a lot of naysayers out there. I'm baffled when someone tells me they don't eat breakfast or they don't like breakfast. There are so many tasty options - how can you resist this meal? Even if it's a weekday and you're pressed for time... a quick scrambled egg with salsa, a bowl of oatmeal, a muffin? Hopefully, I'm preaching to the choir and you're a breakfast lover like me!

Here's a little photo tour of breakfasts recently cooked and enjoyed by my family...

Cornmeal pancakes (with Bob's Red Mill Cornmeal - the recipe is on the bag) made by my mom. She substitutes plain yogurt for buttermilk.

A special family recipe from my dad, Cordes Eggs :
scrambled eggs with cream cheese and sliced black olives. This is really good!

French toast made by my mom with Challah bread (still cooking on the griddle).

The French toast from the photo above with a fried egg and bacon
(I had this with a little maple syrup on the side).

Steamed egg with chive, a Korean dish, made by my fiance.
When I'm in the kitchen, the breakfasts I cook are usually a bit unconventional. They're typically a little of this, a little of that – a Smorgasboard. A fried egg, an English muffin, some sauteed greens, thick cut apple wood smoked bacon, some yellow corn grits with butter, a little smoked salmon, and maybe some sliced fruit. My favorite breakfast of all time is Eggs Benedict (pictured at the top of the post), either traditional, Florentine or with smoked salmon, but always with loads of very lemony Hollandaise.

What's your favorite breakfast?

*Image of Eggs Benedict from Flickr user Adactio