Love for Food

Strawberry Arugula Salad

Strawberries are back! I bought two pints since they were on sale, and I've missed them over the winter. After eating a few, I had a lot left over and had to figure out what to do with them. This week is a crazy busy week with no time to fuss over cooking. I wanted something quick and healthy to keep my energy level up. I decided to make a dinner salad. This is not a low cal salad, but is high in protein and vitamins. The flavors mesh well because the bitter arugula and lemon flavors mesh with the sweet strawberries. The goat cheese mellows all the flavors out. There is something about steak that I find gives me energy. I'm also tired of always eating grilled chicken salads. I topped the salad off with a few strips of grilled flank for some extra oomph.

Recipe: serves four
Ingredients:
3oz Arugula
1/2 head read leaf (or any kind) lettuce
1/2 pint strawberries
1 pound flank steak
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 lemons
1/2 teaspoon Ms.Dash
1/2 red onion (optional)
1/2 cup goat cheese crumbled
1/2 cup pecans chopped

Method:

  • Rub flank with olive oil and sprinkle on Ms. Dash grill for about five minutes per side depending on thickness.
  • Combine arugula, red leaf lettuce (cut up), sliced strawberries, goat cheese, onion and nuts in a large serving bowl.
  • Toss salad with lemon juice and olive oil.
  • Top with steak slices.
Cost: $13.00 or $3.25 per serving
Time: 15 minutes

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 540.9
Total Fat 39.8 g
Saturated Fat 16.7 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4.4 g
Monounsaturated Fat 15.8 g
Cholesterol 101.5 mg
Sodium 383.1 mg
Potassium 817.5 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 37.9 g

Weight Watcher Points: 13 points