Love for Food

Pizza

I was excited about the idea of making my own pizzas. I found dough at Trader Joe's for .99 and decided to give it a try this week. I also bought "pizza sauce" that came in a tub for about $2.50. Pizza Sauce didn't have many ingredients and I probably should have made my own. I didn't want to end up with a huge vat of sauce and was didn't want to screw up my first pizza so I gave TJ's Pizza Sauce a try. In the future I might just stick with my favorite plain pasta sauce.
Rolling out the dough was a bit tricky. The dough was a lot stickier than I thought it would be. I was concerned about making the dough too thick or thin. Once the dough was rolled out the rest of the assembly was a breeze.
I thought my pizza was healthy but turns out it's not really healthy. After calculating the calories and points I ended up with a whopping 13 per serving! It was a bit suspicious because I was so very nice and full after my meal.
The only thing I want to improve on is the crust. It was not as thin and crisp as I like it. Any ideas?

Ingredients: Serves Four
1 whole wheat ready made pizza dough (raw)
1 1/2 cups fat free mozzarella cheese
1 cup pizza sauce store bought (or mix tomato sauce, tomato paste, a tablespoon sugar, oregano, 2 tablespoons olive oil)
toppings of your choice, I put mushroom and bell pepper

Method:

  • Leave out dough at room temperature for 20 minutes.
  • Lightly flour surface and roll out dough into about a 12 inch diameter.
  • Place dough on a lightly oiled pizza stone or baking sheet.
  • Top pizza with sauce followed by cheese and toppings.
  • Bake Pizza for 8-10 minutes at 425.
Cost: about $5.00 or $1.25 per servingTime: 10 minutes active, 8 minutes inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 565.5
Total Fat 28.4 g
Saturated Fat 15.7 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.1 g
Monounsaturated Fat 6.9 g
Cholesterol 82.2 mg
Sodium 1,393.7 mg
Potassium 303.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate 38.5 g
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
Sugars 3.4 g
Protein 39.8 g
Weight Watcher Points: 13 points per serving (YIKES!!)