Love for Food

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

For whatever reason whenever I am trying to eat healthy, I always need to have a dessert at the end of the day. The past few months my top pick has been diet ice cream. To me, the best low cal ice cream/yogurts around are the Skinny Cow or mango flavor from Pinkberry. Alas, my favorites are also the most expensive. I had leftover strawberries from the salad, so I decided to make my own (strawberry) fro-yo. I consulted a recipe from David Lebovitz, who is the author of The Perfect Scoop (most if not all of his recipes are available online). I changed it around a bit after tasting it. I found it way to sweet. Perhaps it could be due to my strawberries being more sweet than his.

For a while I was buying Eddy's zero fat ice, zero sugar ice cream, because it was super cheap at Pathmark ($1.77) for a huge tub. But after the reading the ingredients I was a bit frazzled. It was composed of almost all chemicals. Yuck! Lebovitz's recipe was pretty healthy, except for the sugar. I was thinking of using Splenda but I figured a little sugar can't hurt all that much. I was very happy with the results. I used zero fat Greek yogurt which resulted in a rich, creamy, fro-yo. My dork ah ha moment was when I consulted my fellow work friend/foodie. She told me the reason for the vodka in the recipe. Since alcohol does not freeze it helps the consistency of the ice cream/fro-yo not get icy and rock hard. A great tip! (I actually used rum since that was all I had. You don't taste the alcohol.)

Ingredients: Serves 8.5 (1 quart)
2 cups Greek fat free yogurt/or non fat yogurt
1 lb strawberries (I used frozen)
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vodka
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Method:

  • Wash and cut up strawberries and place in a large bowl. Cover strawberries with sugar, lemon juice and vodka and let sit room temperature for about two hours.
  • Blend strawberries in blender and strain mixture for seeds.
  • Add yogurt to mixture and cool in fridge for about an hour.
  • Process mixture in ice cream maker for about 20 minutes.
Cost: about $7.00 total or .82 per serving Time: 15 minutes active, 20 minutes inactive Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 108.5
Total Fat 0.1 gSaturated Fat 0.0 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.0 gMonounsaturated Fat 0.0 gCholesterol 0.0 mgSodium 37.4 mgPotassium 99.0 mgTotal Carbohydrate 26.0 gDietary Fiber 2.0 gSugars 22.3 gProtein 2.8 g
Weight Watcher Points: 2 points per serving