Love for Food

Crispy Oven-Fried Fish

Nothing beats eating some good fish and chips in the summer (Especially on the beach but I'd settle for having some in my apartment after work). I've been trying to eat more fish and the first thing I thought of was fish and chips. Two seconds later, my next thought, was that fish and chips were a no no diet food. I settled for second best and tried out this oven fried version from Southern Living Magazine.
The recipe calls for "creole" seasoning, but I didn't have any. I used a mix of black pepper, salt, garlic powder, paprika, and a touch of cayenne pepper. I also never buy butter milk to I used one cup of fat free milk and added a tablespoon of lemon to the milk and let it sit for about ten minutes.This fish dish was fast and easy. My fish and chips hankering was satisfied, and I was able to stay on track. I ate the fish with rice. Another alternative would be to bake frozen fries. Frozen fries have a low points value since they are not double fried.
Ingredients: Serves Four
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
4 (6oz) pieces of white fish (i.e. cod)
1 1/2 teaspoons of Creole seasoning
3 cups cornflakes crushed
vegetable cooking oil spray
lemon wedges

Method:

  • Place buttermilk in a large plastic freezer bag add fish. Seal and chill for 20 minutes, turning once.
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  • Take fish out of the bag and sprinkle with seasoning.
  • Place crushed cornflakes in a shallow dish.
  • Put fish in cornflake dish, pressing fish into cornflakes on both sides.
  • Place fish on a wire cooking rack (spray with oil)
  • Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes.
Cost: $7.00 total or $1.75 per serving
Time: 15 minutes active, 40 minutes inactive
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 273.8Total Fat 2.0 gSaturated Fat 0.6 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.5 gMonounsaturated Fat 0.3 gCholesterol 90.2 mgSodium 188.6 mgPotassium 472.6 mgTotal Carbohydrate 20.8 gDietary Fiber 0.1 gSugars 2.6 gProtein 16.5 g
Weight Watcher Points: 6 points per serving