Love for Food

Salmon Cakes

I've come across salmon cake recipes for a while now and always thought they were something I ought to try. After doing some research I found that most of the recipes were pretty similar. I picked this one because of the title, "So-Easy-to-Make Salmon Cakes".
The idea of salmon cakes was appealing since fish is hard to get into my diet. Fish is rather pricey, makes for poor leftovers, and has to be eaten right away. I wanted to find out if salmon cakes was an alternative way to eat salmon (all those great omega fats) with pantry ingredients.
The cakes were quick and easy to make. I served them with couscous and a salad. The cakes tasted a bit like tuna salad fried up in a patty. They were not bad but not great. I think I would make them again; if I was too lazy to go to the store and wanted a fast and healthy dinner.

Ingredients: Serves Two
1 7-1/2 ounce can salmon, drained, skin removed (I used two of those pouches where the skin/bones are already removed.)
1/4 cup plain, dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 teaspoons horseradish
vegetable oil cooking spray

Method:

  • Mix all the ingredients except the cooking spray in a medium-size bowl.
  • Form into 4 equal-size patties.
  • Coat a medium nonstick pan with the cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat.
  • Cook the salmon cakes on both sides until golden brown.
Cost: $7.00 total or $3.50 per servingTime: 10 minutes inactive, 10 minutes active
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories: 280Fat: 11 g
Saturated fat: 2.5 g
Cholesterol:155 mg
Sodium: 300 mg
Carbohydrates: 16 g
Dietary fiber: 1 g
Protein: 27 g

Weight Watcher Points: 6 points per serving