Love for Food

A Visit to the Orchard

My husband, friends and I went apple picking yesterday!

Now I have a bag full of apples...

What to do? (Especially since almost all were bruised and battered from a sad fall... )

Homemade applesauce, that's what!

Things were going really well. I had found this recipe, which seemed simple enough, right? Well, this a TERRIFIC example of what this blog is all about. Learning! Making mistakes! I'm a new cook and this will obviously demonstrate that. :)
All I have left to say is, before you view the following photos, close your eyes. Imagine the beautiful and colorful Fall leaves gently brushing against the warm kitchen window, the sun is setting, the indoor lights are soft, and the aroma of the kitchen is so full of sweet baking apples, your mouth is salivating.
Suddenly the pot is smoking...

Argh.
Is that really my apples smelling like that?

Double argh.

After several taste-tasting bites by not just me, the unanimous decision was sad but true:
It needed to go.
Pictures of applesauce are difficult as is. Random black scorched pieces make it all the more lovely...

I guess all that was left after that was to clean the poor scorched pot...