Love for Food

Apple Walnut Bread

Right after I went apple picking, I put a post on Face Book. I asked all of my FB friends if they had any fun ideas for cooking with apples. One of my good friends suggested walnut apple bread. At first I was not turned on to the idea. I was thinking of those yummy "breads" that are really more like cake. I just made pumpkin cake and still had some leftover.
I assured her it was a great idea and I would make it right away. A few days later she asked me about it. For whatever reason, I felt guilty about not making it. Sunday, I made the apple walnut bread but I substitute all of the ingredients out to make it healthier. I also halved it. She got the recipe from food.com.

The apple walnut bread came out like bread not like cake! I was glad I decided to give it a go. It's not too sweet and has a bread texture. My version is not over the top delish but I did sub out all of the fat and sugar. If you want something a little less healthy and more tasty, sub them back in. I am eating a slice for breakfast this week, toasted with a little butter on top. I like the healthy version just fine.

Also, make sure to realize that the batter is VERY thick, but not to worry. I cut the apples in big chunks in part laziness and in part I wanted to see what it would be like. I thought maybe it would be more appley instead of less noticeable apple taste. I think I went a bit overboard. I might scale down by chunks or even shred the apples next time.

Ingredients: Serves Six
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (or white or a mix)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs (or egg beaters)
1 cup Splenda (or sugar)
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup diced apples
1/4 cup walnuts

Method:

  • Mix flour, cinnamon, soda, salt, and baking powder together.
  • Beat eggs and add Splenda and apple sauce.
  • Add vanilla and add dry ingredients.
  • Stir in apples and walnuts.
  • Pour into a greased loaf pan.
  • Bake at 350 for one hour.
Cost: $3.00 total, $.50 per servingTime: 20 minutes active, 1 hour inactive
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 180.7Total Fat 4.0 gSaturated Fat 0.4 gPolyunsaturated Fat 2.6 gMonounsaturated Fat 0.5 gCholesterol 0.6 mgSodium 795.5 mgPotassium 380.5 mgTotal Carbohydrate 30.5 gDietary Fiber 5.2 gSugars 0.7 gProtein 11.0 g
Weight Watcher Points: 3 points per slice