Love for Food

Kielbasa Sausage with Cabbage and Onions

I know I am a few days late in posting this; but I made this dish for my
version of Oktoberfest. I was a little grumpy and sad knowing that November was coming up in a few days. The days were shorter and it was getting darker out. The weather started to become chilly and windy.
In order to cheer myself up, I had my own little Oktoberfest celebration. I decided to go to the Bowery Whole Foods and pick up a variety of unique German beers. To go along with the beer, I asked my dad how to make kielbasa and cabbage. As a kid we ate this dish often and I always loved it. It's simple but perfect just the way it is.

I always make this dish with mashed potatoes. The firmness and saltiness of the sausage really off sets the mushy bland potatoes. This dish is not too healthy. However, it's not too bad for you either. When I eat it I am reminded of a warm fire place, a good beer, and the coziness of home.Ingredients: Serves Six
1 pack of kielbasa sausage
1 head of green cabbage
1 white onion
vegetable oil
salt
pepper
Method:

  • Pour vegetable oil into a large frying pan.
  • Add sausage to the frying pan. Heat to medium high.
  • Cook until brown. Do not drain or the cabbage and onions will stick to the pan.
  • Cut the cabbage into slices 2 inches thick and stir into sausage.
  • Cut onion in half, then across; add it to the pan.
  • Cook until cabbage and onions are soft.Salt and pepper to taste.
Cost: about $5.00 or .83 per servingTime: 20 minutes active time
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 227.8Total Fat 16.0 g
Saturated Fat 5.7 gPolyunsaturated Fat 2.0 gMonounsaturated Fat 7.4 gCholesterol 38.0 mgSodium 647.5 mgPotassium 665.3 mgTotal Carbohydrate 12.5 gDietary Fiber 4.8 gSugars 0.0 gProtein 10.5 g
Weight Watcher Points: 5 per serving