Love for Food

Brown Sugar Fudge

This year I wanted to be all about fudge. Yes despite the numerous cookies, I've been baking! I found this recipe in The Cook's Illustrated Magazine. What drew me to it was that the taste is reminiscent to pralines. I love pralines. Growing up my dad worked in Texas for a few years. Whenever he would come home to visit I would always ask for Armadillo Droppings from the airport. Armadillo Droppers were basically pralines. Chewy and caramely with the saltiness from the nuts. Heaven. This fudge is very good but I would consider it to be more of a candy than "fudge". No matter what you call it, it's still good!

**The tough part of making this is to keep a watchful eye on the candy thermometer. If you don't have one, I suggest you buy one. I got mine at Pathmark for $4.99. It's a small price to pay for making sure your candy comes out the right texture.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! EDESIA EATS WILL BE ON VACATION TILL THE NEW YEAR!

***I'm not sure why the spacing is all messed up :( It does not show that way on my end and is due to a glitch in the Blogger program. Sorry about that!

Ingredients: Serves 80/Pieces
3 cups light brown sugar
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Method:

  • Cover a 9*9 pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  • Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil over medium heat.
  • Reduce to medium low and cook until the temperature reaches 234 degrees.
  • Remove from heat and allow to cool to warm (120 degrees) about 35 minutes
  • Stir vigorously until mixture is no longer shinny.
  • Poor into pan and allow one hour to cool.

Cost: $4.25 total, .5 per serving
Time: 30 minutes active, 2 hours inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving










Sodium 4.0 mg Potassium 39.1 mg Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g Dietary Fiber 0.2 g






Protein 0.2

Weight Watcher Points +: 2 Points per serving.Calories 58.0






Saturated Fat 0.9 g






Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g



Monounsaturated Fat 1.3 g







Cholesterol 4.0 mgTotal Fat 2.9 g