Love for Food

Chinese Meatballs

This past weekend, I headed to Long Island to a friends pot luck birthday bash. Hmmmm... what to make? I usually offer to bring the cake but I was beaten to it. I wanted to make something a little bit different. I perused the internet for recipes that would be good for snacking on at a party. I remembered I wanted to try these meatballs a while ago. Instead of making 12; I made numerous mini-meatballs which could be eaten with toothpicks. I wanted something you can eat at a party but was filling enough for a dinner. At first I was a bit worried about the strong tastes of these meatballs, but everyone loved them! I figured I'd have to take them back home but they were gone in about five minutes. I made a test batch before baking them all off which was vital. The first one I tried was a bit bland, and I needed to readjust the seasoning. These would be great with fried rice or with an Asian style pasta/noodles. Best part was that I could eat something at a party and not worry about breaking my diet.
Ingredients: Serves Four :

1/4 cup panko crumbs1 tbsp fish sauce1/2 teaspoon white pepper1-1/4 lbs 93% lean ground turkey1 egg1 tbsp ginger, minced1 clove garlic, minced1/2 tsp salt1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro3 scallions, chopped1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce2 tsp sesame oil

Dipping Sauce
4 tbsp low sodium soy sauce2 tsp sesame oil2 tbsp fresh lime juice2 tbsp water1 chopped fresh scallion



Cost: $5.00 total, $1.25 per serving
Time: 30 minutes active, 15 minutes inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories: 229.1
Fat: 11.1 g
Carbs: 8.5 g
Protein: 24.3 g

Weight Watcher Points +: 7 points per serving (three meatballs)

Method :

  • Preheat oven to 500°F.
  • Mix ground turkey, panko, egg, salt, scallions, cilantro, 1 tbsp soy sauce, and 2 tsp oil and mix with your hands until combined well. Shape 1/4 cup meat mixture into a ball and transfer to a baking dish. Repeat with remaining mixture. Bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
  • For the dipping sauce mix together lime juice, water, soy sauce, and remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in a bowl. Add scallions.
  • Transfer meatballs to a serving dish. Stir sauce, then drizzle meatballs with 1 tablespoon sauce.
  • Serve meatballs with remaining sauce, about 1 tbsp per person. Chances are you won't use all the dipping sauce.