Love for Food

Coconut Shrimp (WW Friendly!)

These past few weeks I have been really digging seafood. It's hard for me to buy because I have to go all the way to Pathmark (a half a day affair) or fork over $40.00 a lb at the local places. It also goes bad pretty fast, and does not make for good leftovers. But on Fridays after work, I have been buying myself some for a special treat. Being new to cooking it, I am always on the look out for new ideas. My Mom sent me this WW recipe. I was so excited when I saw it. I love coconut shrimp! I use to order it at restaurants all the time. Since starting WW, I stopped. The shrimp are yummy but deep fried and loaded with fat. :( This is not quite the same as the deep fried version, yet it's pretty tasty. Light and crispy this is a great preview to summer. Next time I am going to experiment with some different low point, dipping sauces.Ingredients: Serves Six
Cooking spray
2 large egg whites
3/4 cups flour
6 oz (2/3 cup) beer
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1 cup panko
24 large shrimp, peeled and devained but with tails on

Method:

  • Preheat oven to 450, spay baking sheet with cooking spray.
  • In a medium bowl whisk egg whites, 1/2 cup of the flour, beer, baking powder and salt.
  • Place remaining flour and coconut in two bowls.
  • Hold shrimp by tails, dredge each shrimp in the flour, dip in egg mixture, followed by the coconut.
  • Put shrimp on baking sheet, and spray with cooking spray.
  • Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

Cost: $15.50 total, $2.58 per servingTime: 30 minutes active
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 161.8
Total Fat 4.7 gSaturated Fat 3.6 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.3 gMonounsaturated Fat 0.2 gCholesterol 42.6 mgSodium 106.0 mgPotassium 103.7 mgTotal Carbohydrate 19.3 gDietary Fiber 1.0 gSugars 0.7 gProtein 9.2 g
Weight Watcher Points +: 6 points per serving