Love for Food

Asian Style Steamed Chicken w/ Coconut Rice

One of my birthday gifts this year was a rice cooker. Not just a any ricer cooker, but a rice cooker with three steaming trays on top. I flipped through Wolfgang Puck's cookbook that came with it, to decide what to make first. So many options! I decided to the steamed chicken, coconut rice, and snap peas. I wanted something healthy yet not bland. I don't know why I never thought to steam chicken before at home but I gave it a go. Fast, easy, and best of all no fat was used to make the chicken. Since it was steamed it was not dry at all. The garlic and ginger provide a lot of flavor. No salt needed! The coconut rice gave brown rice a little extra something. I only ate 1/2 cup per serving. I ended up with quite a few servings per two cups of dry rice. I look forward to many new adventures in steaming and cooking with the rice cooker.
Ingredients: Serves Four
4 individual small skinless, boneless chicken breasts
4 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
4 teaspoons garlic, minced
4 teaspoon jalapeno, minced
4 tablespoons cilantro, minced
salt and pepper
2 cups rice
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
3 cups chicken stock

Method:

  • Marinate chicken breasts with cilantro, jalapeno, garlic and ginger and place in steamer try of rice cooker or in a steamer.
  • Place coconut milk, stock, and rice in rice cooker.
  • Check after then minutes to see if chicken is cooked through.
  • When rice is ready serve.
Cost: $5.00 total, $1.25 per serving
Time: 10 minutes active, 40 minutes inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per ServingWeight Watcher Points +: 6 points per serving (1 piece chicken w/1/2 cup rice)Calories 239.5 Total Fat 7.9 g Saturated Fat 5.8 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g Monounsaturated Fat 0.7 g Cholesterol 65.7 mg Sodium 78.4 mg Potassium 404.2 mg Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g Dietary Fiber 0.9 g Sugars 0.0 g Protein 28.1 g