Love for Food

Pesto

Last summer all I could think about was pesto. I had recently discovered a great farmer's market in the Bronx. I'd bring home huuuuuge batches of fresh veggies including a big bunch of basil. As much as I love basil, one person can only eat so much. At that point I did not have a food processor, so pesto was out of the question. There is still a few weeks left before the farmer's market opens back up again but I was enticed to make some pesto last weekend. I used a recipe that had walnuts instead of pine nuts. I always have walnuts on hand because of baking, so it was a easy substitution. You can use pine nuts if you prefer. The greens can also be swapped out for cilantro, parsley, spinach or a combo of the greens. Finally, I like to add a little lemon to cut all the oil at the end. Since it makes ten servings I froze some of it and plan to use it for a fish topping. Anyone have any unique ways to use pesto?Ingredients: Serves Eight
3 cups fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts (or Pine Nuts)
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Method:

  • In a food processor, blend together basil leaves, nuts, garlic, and cheese. Pour in oil slowly while still mixing. Stir in salt and pepper.

Cost: $5.50 total, .69 per servingTime: 10 minutes total
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 324.1Total Fat 34.4 gSaturated Fat 4.5 gPolyunsaturated Fat 10.3 gMonounsaturated Fat 17.7 gCholesterol 2.0 mgSodium 47.2 mgPotassium 112.7 mgTotal Carbohydrate 2.9 gDietary Fiber 1.5 gSugars 0.5 gProtein 4.0 g
Weight Watcher Points +: 9 points per serving (2 tablespoons)