Love for Food

Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Soup

Eggplant was on sale this week, and I could not resist buying a large one. It only occurred to me later on that I had no idea what I wanted to do with it. Looking for something different I searched the Internet. I saw many recipes for eggplant soup. Hmm.. I never heard of that, which meant I had to try it. This soup is healthy and not too hard to make. It had a lot of flavor. I used bullion cubes (2) but it came out pretty salty. Next time, I'll go back to using chicken broth. Some recipes call for the addition of goat cheese. While I love goat cheese this soup has a lot of flavor on it's own so I left it out. It's pretty hot out these days in New York. But for me, there is still something very comforting about coming home late after a long day of work to a bowl of hot soup!
Ingredients: Serves Six
1 large eggplant (1 1/2 pounds)
1 lemon
parsley
2 tomatoes
1onion
1 head garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt/pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 cups stock/chicken broth
1 cup milk/ or 1/4 cup cream (optional)

Method:

  • Preheat oven to 400. Cut off ends of eggplant and cut in half, score with a fork, cut tomatoes and onion in half, cut off top of garlic head. Cover everything with oil and place on greased sheet tray and bake for about 30-40 minutes.
  • Cool veggies place veggies (take off eggplant skin) in a pot, add 4 cups chicken broth, thyme, red pepper, salt and pepper and cook for about 30 minutes.
  • Mix with an imerson blender.
  • Top with parsley and a squeeze of lemon.

Cost: $6.50 total, $1.08 per servingTime: 60 minutes inactive, 5 minutes active
Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 78.3
Total Fat 3.1 gSaturated Fat 0.9 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.8 gMonounsaturated Fat 2.5 gCholesterol 3.3 mgSodium 651.5 mgPotassium 694.3 mgTotal Carbohydrate 12.7 gDietary Fiber 3.8 gSugars 0.9 gProtein 2.6 gWeight Watcher Points +: 0 (If you don't use milk)