Love for Food

Banana Peanut Butter "Ice Cream"

One Sunday morning, I was watching Food Network and Five Ingredient Fix came on. The show where Claire Robinson makes dishes only using five ingredients. This episode was on healthy eating so it pipped up my interest. One thing she made was "ice cream" made from only bananas and peanut butter. I was so intrigued! I forgot about it for a while. Since NY is heating up, I started craving ice cream again. A diet no no, I began to think of alternatives and it came back to me. I found it online here. Not exactly like ice cream but pretty dam good. The bananas make it creamy. Taste a lot like peanut butter so you have to really like PB. Also a great use of bananas if you buy a bunch and have a few extra. The splash of milk is optional. I found that the mixture did not blend without some liquid. It did get a bit soft after and had to be put in the freezer to harden up a bit.
Ingredients: Serves 2
2 to 3 ripe bananas1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter1 to 2 tablespoons honey (test banana sweetness)a splash of non-fat milk

Method:

  • Cut the bananas into 1-inch pieces and freeze.
  • Put the frozen bananas in a food processor and puree, scraping down sides periodically, until smooth. If it's too solid and does not blend add some milk.
  • Add the peanut butter and honey and puree. Serve immediately or refreeze until ready to enjoy.
Cost: $1.50 total, $.75 per servingTime: 5 minutes active, 3 hours inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 235.1Total Fat 5.2 gSaturated Fat 1.4 gPolyunsaturated Fat 1.4 gMonounsaturated Fat 2.2 gCholesterol 0.0 mgSodium 39.4 mgPotassium 861.5 mgTotal Carbohydrate 49.5 gDietary Fiber 5.3 gSugars 25.2 gProtein 4.0 g
Weight Watcher Points +: 2 points per serving