Love for Food

Naan Pizza

A while back I tried to make pizza using pre-made dough from Trader Joe's. At only .99 I figured it was worth a shot. The pizza came out pretty good but I did have a few issues with it. The crust never got very crusty and the amount was a lot for one person. I wanted to test out using naan, an Indian flat bread as the crust. A grown-up version of those English muffin pizzas, if you will. Naan is available in most supermarkets either fresh or frozen. I made a basic pizza but you can use any topping or sauce you wish. The naan got nice and crusty, a perfect thin crust personal pie. My only caveat is to be careful of how much you put on it. I didn't think I put enough cheese when it melted it spread out a lot. Next time, I will use less cheese. The toppings go a long way also. I put a ton of tomatoes on which weighed down the crust. I also added some mushrooms but there not really necessary. The result was still delicious. Fast and easy. I used good ingredients such a fresh mozzarella so the cost was not that cheap. But it's still cheaper than take out!

Ingredients: Serves Two
1 large naan or two small ones (I used whole wheat)
2 tablespoons pesto
1/4 cup fresh mozzarella cheese
1 large plum tomato, sliced

Method:

  • Pre-heat oven to 400.
  • Top naan with pesto, than tomatoes in slices, than cheese
  • Bake for about 10-12 minutes until cheese is melted and gooey
Cost: $4.50 total, $2.50 per servingTime: 5 minutes active, 10 minutes inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 352.5
Total Fat 16.9 gSaturated Fat 5.3 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.2 gMonounsaturated Fat 1.3 gCholesterol 21.4 mgSodium 801.2 mgPotassium 123.7 mgTotal Carbohydrate 38.2 gDietary Fiber 2.1 gSugars 4.2 gProtein 15.2 gWeight Watcher Points +: 7 points per serving