Love for Food

Thai Style Peanut Butter Noodles

For the past few weeks, I have been craving Ramen. I blame the kids at Riker's who come up with complex meals out of the noodles. Last week I saw them mix in tuna, clams, Velveeta, and even Doritos's. Not sure of how it tasted, but it brought back memories of my own Ramen days. They make five packs at once and just use the noodles. (The seasoning packs are saved for use instead of salt on the bland jail food). I use to love eating the spicy large bowls of Ramen from Sam's but stopped when I found out the sodium content. For a while, I forgot all about them.
This week is another week on a tight budget. I wanted to make something cheap and tasty. I can't remember when I started making this dish but it's one of my favorite go to recipes on those days when I have no time or money. I first found the recipe here, on All Recipes.Com. If you love peanut butter or Asian flavors this dish is for you. The taste is great and you can eat it hot or cold. This dish is very adaptable and tastes great with add ins such as chicken, carrots/peppers/sprouts, sesame oil. . . etc.
Ingredients: Serves Four
1/2 cup chicken broth 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root 3 tablespoons soy sauce 3 tablespoons peanut butter 1 1/2 tablespoons honey 2 teaspoons hot chile paste (optional) 3 cloves garlic, minced 8 oz Udon noodles or 2 packs Ramen Noodles or any other pasta 1/4 cup chopped green onions 1/4 cup chopped peanuts Method:

  • Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until tender according to package directions. Drain.
  • Meanwhile, combine chicken broth, ginger, soy sauce, peanut butter, honey, chili paste, and garlic in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until peanut butter melts and is heated through. Add noodles, and toss to coat. Garnish with green onions and peanuts.
Cost: $1.75 total, $.44 per serving Time: 15 minutes active, 5 minutes inactive Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330 Total Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1188mgTotal Carbs: 46.8gDietary Fiber: 1.9gProtein: 10.7g
Weight Watcher Points +: 9 points per serving