Love for Food

Classic Butter Pie Crust

It's back to basics at Edesia Eats! I decided it was finally time to learn how to make a pie crust. It's one of those things that was always intimidating to me, especially before when I did not have a food processor. It just seemed like too much work, and the store bought ones were soo easy. I sucked it up yesterday and gave it a go. It was not as bad as I thought. The one issue I had was that I added a bit more water because my dough was not forming a dough like consistency. The dough came out very sticky! Uh oh! I put it in the fridge anyways and tried to roll it out (between two sheets of plastic) with limited success. I ended up with two mini pies. I decided to fill them with a little apple, cinnamon, and a touch of flour to hold it together. I had no faith. When it came out of the oven it was pretty tasty. It was much better than the store bought and I was happy to know what was in it. No hydrogenated lard in sight. While there are many variations, I figured it was best to learn how to make classic one well. What I dream of making next is the Four and Twenty Blackbirds recipe for Salted Caramel Apple Pie. A little something twist to a classic. Has anyone tried to make that yet?

Ingredients: Makes one pie crust double if you want a pie with a top such as apple
1 3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cold water
1 1/2 sticks cold butter cut into pieces
1 teaspoon sugar

Method:

  • Pulse together flour and sugar
  • Add butter and pulse a little at at time until you get the texture of coarse crumbs
  • Add water and pulse a little till it forms a dough - do not over work
  • Put in the fridge for 30 minutes

Cost: $.85Time: 5 minutes active (just to make dough not to roll out), 30 minutes inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 252.0 Total Fat 17.5 g Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g Dietary Fiber 0.7 g Protein 3.0 gWeight Watcher Points +: 7 per serving