Love for Food

Sugar and Spice Body Scrub

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas! Being on a budget this year, I decided I would make all my gifts. It was a bit of a challenge for me. I didn't want to be thought of someone who was cheap and gave the crappy homemade gift. Instead I liked to think of it as something cute and from the heart. I saw this on the Brown Eyed Baker blog, I really wanted to give it a try. Scrubs are something I enjoy myself and they can be quite costly to buy. When I was in Florida over Thanksgiving I was at the Club Med Spa that had a hand scrub in the bathroom. I used it and thought it was great. I wanted to buy it but didn't since the holidays were coming, up and I needed to spend the money on gifts. I thought this would be a great gift any woman would love. It was also late on Friday night before Christmas Eve and I was pooped! I thought about some other edible gifts but when I saw how easy this was, it was a winner. I found the oil at Fairway, and it can also be found at Whole Foods. A small bottle is 10 bucks but it's worth it. Several recipes I saw used veggie oil but that does not have the same good for your skin as the almond oil. Besides it still comes out to only $1.25 per gift even with the fancy oil. The oil can also be used for cooking at high heats, so you don't have to worry about the leftovers. I tested this out after I made it and it was very similar to the one I tried at the spa. It only cost me about five bucks per gift and were super cute! I know this post is after this holidays but I wanted to share. The rub is great for yourself or for a birthday/baby shower/ or Mother's Day gift.

PS I'm not so sure why Google Blogger is being a pain and some of the posts are coming out all crazy. Sorry about that! I'm trying to figure out how to fix it :O)

Ingredients: Makes Two Gifts
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup almond oil
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Method:

  • Mix together all of the ingredients till combined.
  • Place in two jars and tie a ribbon around it. Place a gift tag with the instructions to "massage a teaspoon into skin, wait a couple of minutes, rinse off for tighter moisturized skin"
Cost: $2.50 total, $1.25 per gift (cost of the jars ran about $3.50 each at a cooking supply store)
Time: 5 minutes total