Love for Food

Sweet Potato Dog Biscuts

For the longest time I've always wanted to make dog treats. I love to bake and cook and I love animals so as soon as I thought about it I wanted to do it. The only problem is I don't have a dog :( I have two finkey cats. This year I decided to whip up a batch as a cute holiday gifts for all of my friends who have dogs. Whole Foods has a few recipes and it's where I found this one. I used Christmas cutouts but any kind will do. It was a bit of work to roll and cut them out but overall not too difficult. I called them "biscuits" instead of "cookies" since many pooches I know are on a diet. Since these seem pretty healthy to me I figured "biscuits" sounded more health conscious. I tried one myself and it tasted like flour and was not that yummy. However, it was tested and approved by my dogie friends.
Ingredients: 36 biscuits
3/4 cup cooked plain mashed sweet potatoes3 tablespoons chicken or beef broth (or water)2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, plus more for dusting1/2 cup fine yellow cornmeal1/4 cup finely chopped mint1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and gratedMethod:

  • Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper
  • In a large bowl, whisk together sweet potatoes and broth.
  • Add flour, cornmeal, mint and apples and stir until combined. Knead the dough a few times until it holds together.
  • Roll out half of the dough on a generously floured surface until about 1/4-inch thick. Use (2-inch to 4-inch) cookie cutters to cut out treats.
  • Transfer to baking sheets; re roll and cut the scraps. Bake until dried and just slightly golden on the bottoms, 35 to 40 minutes.
  • Turn off the oven, leave oven door ajar and let the treats cool and dry out in the oven for 1 to 2 hours. Store in an airtight container up to 1 week.
Cost: $2.50 total, .07 per serving Time: 30 minutes active, 2 hours inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per ServingPer serving: 35 calories (0 from fat), 0g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 5mg sodium, 7g total carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 1g sugar), 1g protein