Love for Food

Garlic Scape Potato Soup

Since garlic scapes are only available for a few weeks each year, I wanted to take full advantage. I bought myself another batch and did some homework. Soup is a very popular way to use the scapes. My roommate told me I was crazy to make soup in a heat wave. Although as many of you might know from personal experience my office is always freezing! The potatoes make it hearty enough for a meal.

Google Blogger is a little crazy and the type face isen't perfect. Hope you can still read the method section.

* Recipe adapted from Wonderland Kitchen.
** I used scallions to calculate the calories since I could not find garlic scapes.

Ingredients: Serves Six

2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or butter
24 garlic scapes, flowers removed and chopped
3 large russet potatoes, cubed (no need to peel)
5-6 cups vegetable broth
3 cups spinach
2 T fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
Method:

  • In a large soup pot, heat oil and sauté scapes for a few minutes.
  • Next, add potatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potato cubes break apart easily when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes.
  • Remove pot from heat, add spinach, and puree the soup (an immersion blender is really the way to go here). Add lemon juice, salt and pepper, and continue to blend until well combined. Adjust seasoning. You may need to add additional salt.
Cost: $5.00 total, .83 per serving
Time: 15 minutes active, 30 minutes inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving

Calories 137
Total Fat 5.1 g
Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
Protein 3.5 g
Weight Watcher Points +: 4 points per one cup serving