Love for Food

Cheese Ice Cream?

It has been a COLD last several days here. Not only that, but after receiving our first electricity bill since 9 months ago, our mouths gaped open and we turned down the heat even more. I spend my days in at least 3 shirts, sometimes 4 – two of which are usually a thick sweater AND a heavy hooded sweatshirt. A little crazy, right?

Well, I suppose there’s something even crazier…as you can see, I made ice cream. It wasn’t on a whim and it wasn’t because I was needing a cool-off. There actually was a reason for making it, but still – what kind of crazy person makes ice cream on a wet and frigidly cold Oregon day in the middle of winter? I guess me.

So, my friend Erica asked us to help with her kids' missions lesson on Peru this month. Long story short, this was the reason I made Peruvian ice cream - for the children! It is called Queso Helado Arequipeño, which literally means Cheese Ice Cream from Arequipa (the city we lived in).

Don't worry, there is no cheese in it, although I'm not so sure how bad that would be?

It was fun to mess with the kids just a little bit, along the lines of “fear factor,” by pretending that this ice cream was really made from cheese. We dared them to try it, and after the first one did [and loved it] they all suddenly were brave enough to try it, too.

I never perfected my Spanish vocabulary in the “food” realm so when I asked my dear friend Lely for her recipe, I definitely had to look up some words to make sure! But, alas, I have it properly translated for you in an easy format. And it's authentic because she is, of course, Peruvian! Print the recipe here. Make sure you turn up the heat to enjoy this…or save it for the summer!

Note #1: For any of you who are mostly lactose intolerant (or just want to be), I actually made this with Lactose-Free milk and it turned out well!

Note #2: Have I mentioned how much I love my kitchen scale? It's just fun.

And, last but not least, check out this video I found on YouTube to watch the more authentic way of making Queso Helado. You can find these ladies in many places around Arequipa, Peru!