Love for Food

Zuccini Frittata

I stumbled across this recipe in Woman's World Magazine. Woman's World is one of my guilty pleasures. I equate it to reading the National Enquire. I think it has something to do with ADD but even when trying to relax and watch t.v after a long day I still fidget. I don't have the brain power to focus both on t.v and a book or a phone call. What I love to do best is read trashy or dorky magazines along side my night time t.v habit. You don't need much brain power and you can catch up on the celebs, find out how to loose 15 pounds in two days or how to gain a six pack - no sit ups required! One weekly section in Woman's World is called Money $aving Cooking With Grandma. Something about Grandma's make me think the dish will be homey, comforting, and taste great. A stereotype maybe, but noneless made me read on. This week featured a Zucchini Frittata recipe submitted by a Grandmother Lucy. Grandma Lucy comes from a family of eight. With ten mouths to feed, eggs were a great option. Eggs are also one of my favorite things to cook with because they are super cheap, healthy, and keep for a pretty long time in the fridge. Even though there is a major egg recall I decided to try this out anyway. I changed it around just a bit to me more figure friendly. It was yummy and fast. Maybe not super gourmet or fancy but quick and easy for a weeknight. At only 6 points per serving, this works well me for me. Also tastes good at room temperature with some salad, for a make ahead brunch option. Ingredients: Serves Four 4 eggs plus 4 egg whites salt and pepper 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella 1/2 cup grated Parmesan 1/4 cup chopped basil 1 lb. zucchini that has been quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 3/4 inch slices 1 chopped onion 1 clove minced garlic 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning 1 sliced tomato 2 tablespoons oil Method:

  • Preheat oven to 400. Beat eggs with basil, salt and pepper till well blended.
  • Add in 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmesan.
  • Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over med-high heat and add zucchini, onion, garlic, a dash of salt, and Italian seasoning. Cook till tender about seven minutes.
  • Stir in egg mixture and cook until edges are set about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
  • Top with slices of tomato. Put in oven and bake for 10 minutes.
  • Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for five more minutes.
Cost: $5.00 total or $1.25 per serving Time: 15 minutes inactive, 15 minutes active Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving Calories 252.5 Total Fat 13.3 gSaturated Fat 7.5 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.7 gMonounsaturated Fat 4.0 gCholesterol 140.8 mgSodium 498.0 mgPotassium 548.7 mgTotal Carbohydrate 11.8 gDietary Fiber 2.8 gSugars 1.9 g
Protein 22.7 g
Weight Watcher Points: 6 points per serving