Love for Food

Successful Fried Rice

I love all kinds of fried rice, from the fresh home-cooked to the Panda Express version. But I’ve only attempted it once. We were living in Peru and I REALLY didn’t know what I was doing…the final product proved that. But I stumbled upon this blog post a few days ago and had to try it. Fortunately, all the ingredients (or at least those from this recipe that I wanted to use) were in the house already – whoohoo!

A tasty success.

A little tidbit probably unknown to most of you: Over the past 100 years, there have been many Asian immigrants to Peru – I believe mostly from China, but I could be mistaken. So, there are little Chinese/Peruvian restaurants everywhere called “Chifas.” You can find fried rice almost everywhere in Peru, though it’s not an original dish to the country. We most often heard it called “Arroz Chaufa.” At the very inexpensive restaurants (~$1 USD for a gigantic plate of fried rice), you never really knew what exactly would be in the dish – sometimes it looked more like leftovers all fried together. But we just ordered and enjoyed. It’s usually best not to ask questions.