Love for Food

Apple Chips

After I went apple picking a few weeks ago, I began hunting for as many different ways to prepare apples as possible. I had over 30 apples, and wanted to do something other than just eat them as is. I saw some recipes and posts about apple chips. I was intrigued. I've had apple chips before and I loved them. I never buy them because they are kinda pricey, for what they are.

I put those thoughts aside because I did not have a mandolin. Without a mandolin I could not make apple chips. There was no way I could cut so thin and uniform. As luck would have it while on the phone with my sister she mentioned a Bed Bath and Beyond gift certificate. Turns out she had bought it and decided to give her friend another gift. I jumped on this opportunity. Hey... I can always use something at BB&B hint hint hint.

Later that week the gift certificate arrived in the mail. Score! I ran over to BB&B and picked up a mid-priced mandolin. The first thing I wanted to try were apple chips. I decided to keep them as simple as possible. I did some research and found out that many pre-packaged apple chips contained extra sugar and were deep fried. Those apple chips were not much healthier than potato chips.
I was worried that my chips might not come good. Turns out you don't need extra sugar. The apple chips were very sweet as is. Since they were so thinly sliced they were also nice and crunchy. The only annoying part is that they have to be cooked low and slow. Plan on keeping them in the oven between 2-3 hours.
These chips are yummy and provide a sweet crunchy snack. Since you are only eating an apple it's guilt free. They are even healthy for you. Give them a try!
Ingredients: Serves Two
1 large apple

Method:

  • Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
  • Cut apple in half and remove seeds, slice apple on mandolin. (no need to peel or core)
  • Place apples on a silicon mat or parchment paper, make sure they are not overlapping and bake for about 2 1/2 hours.
Cost: .30 total, .15 per serving
Time: 5 minutes active, 2 1/2 hours inactive

Nutrition Facts: Amount Per Serving
Calories 62.5
Total Fat 0.4 gSaturated Fat 0.1 gPolyunsaturated Fat 0.1 gMonounsaturated Fat 0.0 gCholesterol 0.0 mgSodium 0.0 mgPotassium 121.9 mgTotal Carbohydrate 16.2 gDietary Fiber 2.9 gSugars 0.0 gProtein 0.2 g
Weight Watcher Points: 1 point per serving